Monday 10 December 2012

Smells like home

I was reading an article in the FT last week, about Scent and Architecture.  How the smell of homes had changed over the years, as the way we live our lives changes.

For example, the smell of an open fire would be typical of a home a hundred years ago, but now not so much.  And do you really feel at "home" when there is new carpet smell?   My Aunt's house had been re-done about 3 years ago, and I'm certain one of the rooms smells the same as it did when I was 5.  I just can't quite put my finger on it...

Missing my homeland of Bermuda, I'm wondering if I can design in some scent into spaces that will make it smell like home.  

I'm working on a concept bar at the minute, based around the elements which make Bermuda unique.  So when I go to the islands for Christmas, I'm going to take note of whatever theses scents are.  Off the top of my head, salt, open fires and .... mildew.  It's so humid there!  And of course, my mum's baked ham. 

Should we be designing with scent, as well as colour?  And for that matter, what about sound?    Watch this space... 



No comments:

Post a Comment