Sunday 9 October 2011

MoMA, NYC

I went to MoMA last week, on a crazy busy day, after shopping all afternoon.  I wasn't totally in the mood, if I'm honest, but the range of work they had on show was fantastic, although I really don't rate the "design" department, probably because I've seen it all before in other museums.


Also there was a massive installation near the entrance.  Whilst I am always into large interventions in space, this was a bit lost on me.  Everyone was queuing up to go through these massive curtains, and it was a bit "blah".  I think it would have been better if there was more of a sense of "uniqueness" or if people were encouraged to stay in the space longer.. but it photographed really well, so it looks more exciting than it is!  It was called "Sum of Days" by the Brazilian Carlito Carvalhosa (b1961) and there were speakers and microphones, simultaneously recording the noise from the day, and playing back the sound from yesterday, along with previous days... as the days get older, they feature less in the "music?" but I couldn't really hear any of it at all.


There was an exhibition on "Flux" movement, which I didn't understand at all.. but made for some interesting graphics.


I really loved the architectural gallery (surprise surprise) and also the more "classic" modern paintings, Matisse especially.  There was a De Kooning exhibition on too, I managed a sneaky picture of one of the paintings, although I was told off straight away.  Photos allowed in the rest of the museum.. for once! 












Mies van der Rohe - collage for interior exhibition space

Haus-Rucker-Co, Palm Tree Island, New York.

Donald Judd

Dan Flavin

Giacometti

Pollock (close up!)

Matisse

Branusci

Monet (close up!)

De Kooning

No comments:

Post a Comment